Book Review - The Homeplace


Fourteen-year-old Lanie Belle Freeman of Fairhope, Arkansas, has high hopes for her future. Happy on the five-acre family homeplace, she dreams of going to college and becoming a writer. And with her father launching a new business and her mother expecting the fifth baby, the bright days of an early Southern spring seem to herald expansive new beginnings for the Freeman family.

But her mother isn’t as strong as she should be, and it’s going to take time for the business to pay back the mortgage. When unexpected tragedy strikes, it is left to Lanie to keep the family together and hold on to their home. In a world shaken by the Great Depression, it is faith in God and love in a tightly knit family that will help Lanie and her siblings overcome the odds and create a future that promises the fulfillment of love.

The Homeplace offers a warmhearted and inspiring saga of a courageous young woman who holds her family together through the Depression era.

KATY'S REVIEW:

Romance:


Violence:


Fear/Horror:


Overall Opinion:


This book got 5 stars from me almost from the get-go!! The Homeplace grabbed me from the first few pages, Lanie’s character is instantly likable and her selfless attitude is evident from the very beginning. The whole atmosphere of the family was refreshingly enjoyable; they were a very close-knit family.

Since my family is much like that – close-knit – I enjoyed reading about how much they came together when the trials began to come upon them. The writing was filled with so much emotion that I often found myself crying with the characters! (You know it’s a good book when you can emotionally feel with the characters in the book!)

Lanie was my favorite character, mainly because of all the trials she readily shouldered for her family when the times got hard. She relied heavily on the Lord to get her through all her troubles, which was such an amazing testimony, even if this is just a fictitious story. Her innocent nature was also extremely appealing, as well as her loving nature of giving and helping others. There was some romance in the book, though it wasn’t the prominent part of the book and Lanie – clear and level-headed – dealt with the guys well. ;-) Her other siblings were also very endearing, though Maeva sometimes made me want to shake her – with her stubborn and rebellious attitude, though she cared deeply about her family, just like everyone else.

So, all in all, this is definitely a book that I will pick up again and read! I laughed with the family during the funny moments, cried with them during the sad times, and hurt with them when matters turned from bad to worse. Lanie will definitely be a character I’ll remember for a long time to come!!


Thanks to Renee Smith for sending us a copy of this book for Book Ponderings!!


~ Katy

5 comments:

Renee Ann said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I loved Lanie right away, too. And I really enjoyed her sassy aunt. I read the books one at a time as they came out and remember being so eager to see if a certain man would end up in Lanie's life--but I'm not telling! It's a great series!

Katie Marie said...

Yes, I did like Lanie's sassy aunt - I can't remember the many times I was chuckling over what she was doing next!

Yes, I can't wait to continue reading this series. I have in mind who I'd like Lanie to marry...and wanna know if she gets him! :-) Can't wait to find out!

Charity U said...

Mmmm...sounds like a book I'd enjoy. :) I'll have to see if I can find a copy!

MaureenT said...

I enjoy reading Gilbert Morris's books, and this looks like one the won't disappoint!

Katie Marie said...

Charity U - Yes, I would encourage you to!

Maureen - If you enjoyed other Morris' books, I don't think you will be dissapointed with this one!

~ Katy

Post a Comment

Photo credit: Lori Warman