Book Reveiw - Havah



Eve...
Myth and Legend Shroud Her in Mystery.
Now Hear Her Story...


From paradise to exile, from immorality to the death of Adam, experience the dawn of mankind through the eyes of the woman first known as...Havah.
Romance:

Violence:

Fear/Horror

 Overall Opinion:


 KATY'S REVIEW:

I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this book, but I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised! Tosca handled all the issues well, stayed close to the biblical account, and gave reasonable viewpoints of how things could have been back then in the Garden of Eden. The bible doesn’t go into detail about what Adam and Eve did after the Fall, so it was neat to read Tosca’s account of Havah’s life – her many struggles and sorrows – after they left the Garden. It was a grim read at times, but all too true.

 As I read the first few chapters, I celebrated with Adam and Havah over the discoveries and enjoyment they had in the Garden. I found myself reading on, dreading the approaching Fall. When Havah went to the tree that morning, I wanted to cry out and tell her not to do it! In this way, Tosca wrote with clarity and amazing passion that drew the reader into the story. Even though I already knew what was going to happen, I still was on edge and read through the book almost non-stop. I felt like crying right along with Havah at Adam’s betrayal, her sharp remorse at what she had caused, and her desire to simply die. I felt Havah’s pain. Tosca did an amazing job of portraying Havah’s rampant emotions throughout this whole book.

With all of these praises, I will say that Tosca was often very…blunt when writing about Adam and Havah in the garden. Adult content is certainly very present throughout the first few pages as the first two human’s on earth learn and discover things about themselves and each other. While nothing is said in detail, it is evident that Adam frequently does his husbandly duties with Havah – before and after the Fall. After eating the fruit they wake up and Havah realizing how badly they had used each other while intoxicated with the fruit from the forbidden tree. Also, her eldest son, Kayin, is in love with Havah, his mother. Now, since brothers and sisters were marrying (There wasn’t anybody else to marry! lol) I suppose that this might have been natural…but I just saw it as awkward and a bit strange for a son to fall in love with his mother. Besides these intimate subjects that are sprinkled throughout the book (which in regards to married couples I personally think should be kept private), the only other objectionable thing I could find with this book was the blunt explanation of their bodies. Havah often comments about different parts of her figure. Some people might not have a problem with this, but I personally was a bit uncomfortable with so much frank descriptions of a female’s – and on occasion, male’s - body

I still enjoyed this book, though. I found myself crying with Havah over the murder of Hevel and then when Adam’s death was fast approaching. Adam was everything to Havah. Even at the end of their lives Havah felt that their exile from the Garden was her own doing. Almost her whole life she prayed and hoped that they would return to the Garden before Adam’s death, so she could repair the damage she had done to her husband…her Adam. It was such a sweet moment when she decided to journey toward where the Garden had been in hopes of finding it before Adam breathed his last. It was all so touching to me. When I at last read the final sentence and close the book, I felt almost sad to leave Havah’s story – it was so moving and unlike anything I have ever read

All that said, I admit I would’ve liked this book more if it had been more teen friendly. But, since it is not, I cannot recommend this to young readers. But, if you are a mature reader, this might be a great read. I just advise caution when giving this book to teens.
~ Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Photo credit: Lori Warman