By Katie Garvin
For a while, the town remained abandoned - a real ghost town. But then in 1951, Walter Knott, founder of Knott's Berry Farm, bought the town and began restoring it to its original condition referencing old photographs from its boom. Though five of the original town buildings exist today, many others are are recreated as replicas of their originals - on the preexisting foundations.
In 1966, Knott donated the town to San Bernardino County - and that's when Calico became a county regional park. Today the park operates mine tours, gunfight stunt shows, gold panning, a restaurant, general merchandise stores, War Between the State reenactments, and an annual Heritage Fest. (Sounds like a fun place to visit!) In 2005, Calico was designated the "official state silver rush ghost town" of California.