Book Discussion - Sir Rowan, Part 1

Hey everyone! How did your Thanksgiving weekend go? Mine was great - we traveled down to Grant, FL and spent the week with my mom's parents. It was fun and relaxing! So, now I am re-envigorated and back into business with blogging!! :-D I've done some changes on my own blog, if you want to stop by and take a look! :-)


Anyways, today is my turn to do the book discussion! For it, I picked one of my top favorite Chuck Black books - Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest!






A knight left for dead. A country on the verge of ruin. An evil lord rising to conquer.

Sir Rowan is the most decorated tournament knight in Cameria, but when he is attacked and left for dead, his world collapses. Betrayed and lingering at death’s door, only a bizarre vision of his Prince and the help of a woman dedicated to the King keeps him alive. When Rowan heals, he finds new purpose in life through service to his King.

But his beloved land of Cameria has fallen victim to the tyranny of the Dark Knight.

Rowan’s countrymen need his help taking their cities back from the enemy, but all is not as it appears. The mysterious Sir Lijah insists Rowan’s purpose lies elsewhere - far away from Cameria, in an ancient city and for an ancient cause.

Rowan’s destiny is greater than he ever imagined. The final battle with the Dark Knight approaches, and he must choose where he will fight. Will he discover his true identity and purpose as a Knight of the Prince, or will the Dark Knight claim victory for eternity?


KATY'S REVIEW:


I have already reviewed this book on Book Ponderings, so I would bore you by posting it again! But if you didn't read it the week I posted it, you can go HERE and read it!


BOOK DISCUSSION:

1) When Sir Rowan first was taught to use the sword, he was also taught the ways of the King and how to be a Knight of the Prince. But as Sir Rowan grew older and became talented with the sword, he began to falter in his desire to fight for the King and His son. He saw his skillfulness with the sword as more useful in gaining him fame in the tournaments then in using it for the King. Have you ever found yourself using something God intended to minister to His people and using it for your own gain or glory?

It is easy to do that with day to day things, even if we don't realize it. Such as - my blogging! I want to use them not only to review books for the benefit of others, but use it to glorify God through my reviews and posts. This can easily be forgotten as I get overwhelmed with day to day life amid trying to plan interviews, read the books sent to me, and write up reviews. While I still think my reviews are a ministry, in that they honestly tell you what is in the book - good and bad - so that you can avoid them if necessary, I discovered that I can do other posts centered on Christ. Such as my devotional posts that I have begun. I always feel encouraged after reading an inspirational post about a bible verse or hearing a persons testimony - and I hope to pass this on through my own devotional posts! 

2) When Rowan was left in the cave to die, he is rescued by someone he has never met. Has God ever sent a stranger your way to help you when you needed it?

Hmm...yes! Once, when my Dad was driving me to a class that I was taking at a local college campus, our car broke down. It was raining really hard outside and the belt to our van slipped off. Of course, the van we were driving didn't have any tools in it! (Go figure!) So Dad tried to fix it. But it was tough putting the belt on and really was a two man job. I tried to help, but wasn't much good besides to hold the flashlight! :-P We were in a gas station, and lots of people and cars were coming and going and people could see that we were having trouble...but no one asked to help. After about fifteen or twenty minutes, someone did stop and ask if Dad needed help. The man had the right tools Dad needed and in about 5 minutes, the belt was back on and we were on our way to my class, though a little late. But that man was an angel of mercy sent by God for us just when we needed it! :-)

3) When thieves came to Rowan and Mariah with intentions to harm, they instead chose to show them compassion by providing them a meal. Has someone ever done you wrong and, instead of getting mad, you turned around and did something kind to them? Luke 6:27 "But I say unto you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to them that hate you,"

I have had that happen to me once. A joke was played on myself and a friend, but it went sour and it went farther than just a simple joke. My friend and I were really hurt by what they did. But, instead of getting mad at them and never talking to them again (though we really felt like doing just that) we instead served up ice cream and played games with them. Although it was really awkward at first, things soothed out and I can tell you that the evildoers weren't sure how to take our open kindness after they had seen how distressed we were over the joke. So, while it was really hard to be kind to them after they hurt us, in the end, it was the right thing to do.
~
Check back on Wednesday for some more discussion questions! And don't forget to leave your thought or stories - we love reading them!


~ Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Photo credit: Lori Warman