Author Spotlight - Melanie Dobson

Hey all! Today is our monthly Author Spotlight on Book Ponderings! :-) For today I have author Melanie Dobson with me talking about her release in November of last year, The Silent Order.


Welcome Melanie! To begin with, can you tell us a little about yourself?

Thank you! I’m originally from a small town in Ohio, but I met my husband Jon in Colorado. We’ve moved across the country and to Berlin with his work, and we now live in Oregon with our two young daughters. God put a desire in my heart to write fiction when I was in junior high, but I always thought I would pursue this dream when I was “older.” Right before my thirtieth birthday, I realized that I was indeed getting older and began to write my first novel.


How long did you write before you were published?

I wrote and published a non-fiction book for single women with a friend in 2000 and then decided I wanted to publish a novel as well. Writing fiction proved to be much more difficult for me than non-fiction. Three novels and about seven years later, I was quite excited to receive my first fiction contract for a contemporary novel about a failed adoption called Together for Good.


How many books have you published?  What are their names, and who are they published by?

My tenth book will be published this spring. Besides The Silent Order, my latest books are Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa (Summerside) and Refuge on Crescent Hill (Kregel).

How did you get the inspiration for your book, The Silent Order?

This story was inspired as I contrasted the Cleveland Mafia during Prohibition and the Amish people living further south in Sugarcreek. The storyline has some similarities to the movie Witness—with a twist.

The Silent Order


What message do you want to be clear to your readers in The Silent Order?

The Silent Order is about a crime family named the Cardanos in Cleveland and a detective by the name of Rollin Wells who is close to exposing them. The Cardanos are working in the hills south of Cleveland, and when Rollin travels to Sugarcreek to investigate, he discovers that the Cardanos want him dead. Rollin hides out in an Amish home, trying to uncover why the Cardanos are in Amish country and who is collaborating with them. As he gets closer to the truth, Rollin also attempts to find out what a beautiful Amish woman named Katie Lehman—a woman who reminds him of the girl he once loved—is hiding.

Any upcoming releases we should keep our eye out for?

I have two Love Finds You novels coming out this year. One is set in the Amana Colonies in the 1860s (Love Finds You in Amana, Iowa), and the other story is set in a Moravian village during the French and Indian War called Love Finds You in Nazareth, Pennsylvania.

Where can people find you?

My website is www.melaniedobson.com.

~

Hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about Melanie and her book, The Silent Order. If you'd like a chance at winning this book, head on over to my personal book blog - I'm giving away a copy of her book this week! :-) Here's the link - http://katieslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/02/interview-giveaway-melanie-dobson.html.


~ Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Photo credit: Lori Warman