Book Discussion - The Heavens Before, Part 1

I am so excited! This is the very first book discussion to be held on Book Ponderings, and I hope everyone will enjoy it as much as I have had hosting it! The book I'm going to be talking about today is called The Heavens Before, by Kacy Barnett-Gramckow. Don't worry, if you haven't read it, it doesn't mean you can't join in the discussion! Keep reading! :-)

As a little special bonus, whenever you join in on a book discussion, you will get an extra entry into winning our giveaway, The Centurion's Wife! You don't have to worry about mentioning it, we'll automatically add your name into the giveaway for each comment/question you leave on this book discussion! So don't hesitate to join in!

Oh, and before I go on, if you are interested in the book, head over to my blog, The Legacy of a Writer, and check out my current giveaway - it's for a copy of The Heavens Before!! :-D

To begin this book discussion, I'm going to post my review of the book, just so you all know my thoughts on it!





KATY'S REVIEW:

Romance: 5 Stars
Voilence: 4 Stars
Fear/Horror: 4 Stars
Overall Impression: 5 Stars



When I first began this book, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’ve never read a story about what it was like before the Flood. But Kacy is an amazing author who weaved a touching story effortlessly into history. The story of Annah instantly intrigued me, in that she has not spoken a word to anyone in years. Her silent suffering, that no one in her family cared to ease, was heartbreaking.

The bible doesn’t tell us much of what it was like before the Flood, but Kacy gives us a good idea of how evil it was through the lives of Annah’s twisted family – if you could really call them a family. Annah’s child-like faith in the Most High – whom everyone else thought was a foolish legend – was what helped sustain Annah in the years after her father’s murder. The entrance of Shem was like a bright light into Annah’s dark world, just as she was considering ending it. I loved reading their story as their two lives continued to weave itself together.

I knocked 1 star off of both the Fear/Horror rating and the Violence rating. It wasn't anything bad, but Annah was abused by her brother and once her sister-in-law tried to take her life. Mild things like this are in the book, but I didn't find them offensive or too much detail - it was all handled very well.

All in all, this is definitely a book that I won’t forget anytime soon! Kacy is a wonderful author and sticks to the biblical facts from Genesis, while adding in the special story of Annah. I highly recommend The Heavens Before.




BOOK DISCUSSION:

So, here are the questions, and I'll answer them below with my own thoughts. If you're wondering about the rules to these book discussion, there are just two, if you would be so kind as to follow them!

Rule 1 - always keep your comments and discussions in a positive light. This is meant for everyone to have fun and share what they think! Post what you think. It's totally okay if you differ from us or other reviews!! That's what I love about book discussions - the freedom to tell what your thoughts are about a book or time in history!

Rule 2 -  Have fun with it! This blog is made for YOU, our readers, to interact with us!! We LOVE hearing from you!

QUESTIONS:

1) If the whole village thought you were mentally mad, what would you think if one person saw past your actions and into your heart?

After living a life of people looking down on me and thinking me beneath them, it would be like a bright candle in the middle of a dark cave. I've always enjoyed my family's love, so I sympathize with Annah, who had no loving family to turn to when she needed comfort. For someone to take the time to see into my heart...I think that person would be someone special to treasure for an eternity!

2) What would be your thoughts if, the day after you move into live with a family, they told you the world would be destroyed by God, and your only salvation you had was an enormous structure that they referred to as "The Pen"?

At first, I believe it would take me a while to accept this as the truth - more than likely, I might jump to a conclusion that the family had serious mental issues. lol But, if the Lord had lead me to this family, as He did for Annah, I think my journey to believe in the Flood would take a similar road to hers, in that I would eventually believe that the impending doom on an evil world (Which Annah saw first had) was close at hand, and the pen was the only way to escape it.

3) If you knew that someone wanted you dead, would you have the courage to trust in the Lord to protect you and give you the power to overcome the threat, such as Annah did?

Hmm...this is a little hard for me to say. When you're not in the certain situation, it can be very easy to assume that you'd be brave and fearless with the Lord on your side. But, even though I'd trust implicitly God, I have a feeling I would still be a bit scared at the thought of standing up to an abusive brother who wants to kill me. :-/



Oh, and don't forget to check back again on Wednesday, where we'll continue our discussion of The Heavens Before!! :-D See you then!!

~ Katy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Photo credit: Lori Warman