Book Beginnings - Indelible


As you all know, when Friday rolls around Book Pondering joins in the weekly post, Book Beginnings on Friday! Katy, over at A Few More Pages, hosts this every week and it's always fun to participate in this! If you are interested in doing this for your blog, check out Katy's blog for details on what to include in the post! I decided to use Indelible, by Kristen Heitzmann, that I just finished yesterday. (Which, by the way, you can read the review I just posted this morning for it on my blog, HERE).

Indelible: A Novel

A veined bolt of lightning sliced the ozone-scented sky as Trevor plunged down the craggy slope, dodging evergreen spires like slalom poles. Rocks and gravel spewed from his boots and caromed off the vertical pitch.
"Trevor." Walt skidded behind him. "We're not prepared for this."
No. But he hurled himself after the tawny streak. He was not losing that kid.
"He's suffocated," Whit shouted. "His neck's broken."
Trevor leaped past a man--probably the dad--gripping his snapped shinbone. Whit could help there. Digging his heels into the shifting pine needles, Trevor gave chase, outmatched and unwavering.

Just reading this, I can feel the adrenaline and urgency that is coursing through Trevor. It's like I'm there. The scene is brought to life before my eyes. I know it's kind of fuzzy what's going on, but another paragraph or two would've cleared it all up...or you can just read the first sentence on the back of the book -- "Rescuing a toddler from the jaws of a mountain lion, Trevor..." Hope the picture is clear for you now! I was totally enthralled with this scene, unable to stop. Talk about a gripping opening to a gripping read! 

Oh! And just a tidbit...if you want to read the rest of this scene - the whole first chapter, actually - then check out the post on my blog today. You'll find the first chapter there so you can continue reading...and beg for more when you reach the end. :-P

We'd love to hear what's the first line - or paragraph - of your current read. Feel free to share it with us in the comments! Are you liking the book so far? Was the first few lines enough to grip your attention? We're looking forward to hearing from you! :-)

2 comments:

Katy said...

Whoa, that is definitely an adrenaline-filled beginning. I've really liked the other Kristen Heitzmann books I've read so far, and this sounds great too.

Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

Katie Marie said...

Ya, isn't it, Katy! I read this and was like "wow! What an entrance!"

I haven't read many of Heitzmann's books, but so far I've liked all I've read. :-D

Thanks for hosting Book Beginnings. It's always a lot of fun!

~ Katy

Post a Comment

Photo credit: Lori Warman